To make this work, a decision-centric organization:
- Knows which decisions matter and why
- Which processes depend on which decisions, for instance, and which decisions impact which key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Knows who makes and who owns each decision
- Who decides how a type of decision should be made and who makes the decision for a given transaction or customer
- Uses the right technology to support or manage each decision
Some decisions should be made by people and so require decision support, some should be automated and so managed in decision management systems.
Enterprise decision management and decision intelligence are fundamentally decision-centric approaches. Organizations wishing to use them to become decision-centric should take a number of steps.